Position Title: Communications Manager
Supervisor: Executive Director
Department: Director’s Office
Grade: 56, exempt
Hours: Full-time, 35 hours per week
Dumbarton Oaks is a research institute of Harvard University, located in Washington, D.C., that specializes in Byzantine, Pre-Columbian, and Garden and Landscape Studies. The institute welcomes about 40 fellows and visiting scholars ever year, and hosts a number of annual conferences, public lectures, concerts, and other events. In addition, the center has a world-renowned museum and historic garden open to thousands of visitors every year. Since 2015, Dumbarton Oaks has been expanding its collaborations with local cultural organizations to deliver mission-relevant scholarly and public programming. The Communications Manager will lead, advise on, and implement institutional strategy on marketing and communications; develop a budget; oversee print and digital communication outlets; and work to support and expand our local partnerships.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and implement a social media and communications strategy.
- Lead an institutional rebranding campaign to update and streamline print and digital outlets.
- Create and manage a communications and marketing budget.
- Maintain and expand the strategic partnerships to fulfill the institutional mission and maximize the center’s impact.
- Manage the monthly newsletter, institutional communications and associated mailing lists.
- Research and recommend avenues for publicizing the institute’s scholarly activities, publications, and events.
- Research and recommend avenues for disseminating ongoing video and digital projects designed for the public, such as the Virtual Garden Tour and the Digital Map of Cultural DC.
- Handle press inquiries, press releases, requests for interviews or promotional materials, and other press and media requests; exercise independent judgment in selecting among various proposals for press coverage the ones that are best aligned with the institutional mission, and for identifying new marketing outlets.
- Collaborate with departments to identify and support new projects that highlight Dumbarton Oaks activities and resources.
- Supervise fellows and interns who develop content for the newsletter and social media.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, English, Museum Studies, etc.).
- 3+ years of relevant work experience.
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Excellent administrative, interpersonal, written and oral communications skills.
- Demonstrated passion for outreach to diverse communities.
- Knowledge of Spanish an advantage.
- Video skills an advantage.
- Demonstrated excellent customer-service skills.
- Demonstrated time management and organizational skills.
This position is open until filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and cover letter by applying at the link below:
Dumbarton Oaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).