Part-Time Library Assistant
Position Title: Part-Time Library Assistant
Supervisor: Reader Services Librarian
Department: Research Library
Grade: Casual, part-time position
Hours: 15 hours per week
Pay Rate: $15 per hour
Part-time position supporting a variety of functions in a distinguished research library (approximately 225,000 volumes) with world-renowned multi-language, multi-alphabet collections in Byzantine and medieval studies, garden history and landscape architecture, and Pre-Columbian studies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist Interlibrary Loan Librarian with ILL requests using ILLIAD software: receiving and returning loans, preparing lending and borrowing forms, retrieving materials from the stacks and preparing them for ILL shipment.
- Assist Interlibrary Loan Librarian with Scan & Deliver service requests: processing outgoing and incoming requests to verify citations and availability, impose copyright restrictions, retrieve items, and scan articles for digital transmission to requestors.
- Shelve books and shelf-read collections.
- Bibliographic searching for pre-order purposes.
- Other duties assigned as time permits.
- Experience using computerized library systems, with ILLIAD experience strongly preferred (specify systems experience in curriculum vitae).
- Attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in Art History or humanities.
- Graduate coursework in library and information science is strongly preferred.
Reading knowledge of foreign languages (specify languages in CV).
The physical requirements of this position relate primarily to collections shelved in a research library and work done in an office environment. The incumbent should be able to bend, stoop, and reach to retrieve library materials, and be able to push a fully laden truck of books, lift and carry 10 pounds frequently and 20 pounds occasionally. This position requires the ability to sit for extended periods of time associated with working at a desk with a computer and monitor.
The Library Assistant must be able to work 15 hours over three or four days each week. Work schedule is between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday. Exact schedule is negotiated between the successful applicant and the position supervisor.
This position remains open until filled. Candidates should submit a detailed resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to: HumanResources@doaks.org. Please use the email subject line “Part-Time Library Assistant.”
Dumbarton Oaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).