Dumbarton Oaks provides high-quality images of the majority of material held in the museum collections, rare book collections, and photograph collections. You may order:
- Publication-quality digital files in color or black-and-white (300+ dpi)
- Inkjet prints created from digital files for study purposes only
Terms and Conditions of Use
The photographs we provide are for research or personal use. Should you wish to reproduce, redistribute, modify or exploit the images in any media, you must obtain prior written permission from Dumbarton Oaks. If given, permission for publication is for non-exclusive one-time/one-edition/one-language use only, unless otherwise agreed. Further language rights, revised editions, and additional media require a separate application. Credits for each reproduction must acknowledge
Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection, [appropriate collection], Washington, D.C.
Acquiring Images and/or Reproduction Rights
To request images and/or publication rights, please provide the following information (forms and contact information below):
- Object accession number, negative number, or call number if request is for library book images
- Title or description of the object or book, including page numbers for book images
- Description of specific views or details requested, if applicable
- Black/white or color preference
- Purpose of your request (publication, study, other)
- If you are requesting images for publication, please complete the publication section on the form, including the type of publication and its expected print run.
If you do not provide this information, your request may be delayed and/or subject to a fee for professional assistance/research.
Rights and Reproductions Fees
Payment of fees for rights and reproductions must be made in advance. Please allow three weeks from the time payment is received for processing of the order.
Dumbarton Oaks reserves the right to decline requests for images and/or publication rights.