You are here:Home/Research/ Library & Archives/ Dumbarton Oaks Archives/ Collections/ Ephemera Collection/ Jardins Italiens 1. Frascati - La Villa Aldobrandini

Jardins Italiens 1. Frascati - La Villa Aldobrandini

 
Accession number AR.EP.TC.0647
Creator
Places
Villa Aldobrandini (Frascati [Italy])
Frascati (Italy)
Italy
Date
1930
Measurements
2.75 x 4.5 inches
Materials/Techniques
illustration
Work types
trade card

Description

TRANSCRIPTION

Jardins Italiens [Italian gardens]. - 1. Frascati - La Villa Aldobrandini

Produits Liebig, base de la cuisine saine et soignée [Liebig products, the basis of healthy and thorough cooking].

Le jardin italien de la Renaissance est inspiré des jardins de la Rome impériale. La distribution en est panoramique et symétrique, au moyen de terrasses et d’escaliers, de bassins, de jeux d’eau et de colonnades, de sorte que le jardin forme, avec la villa qu’il entoure, un ensemble harmonieux. / La ligne droite est de règle ; des statues et des marbres, savamment disposés, en rompent l’uniformité sans la détruire. Les allées conduisent à des points de vue intéressants. / La villa Aldobrandini, à Frascati (petite ville près de Rome), est une des plus grandes et des plus belles villas romaines ; son site merveilleux lui a valu l’épithète de Villa del Belvedere. / Elle fut construite, en 1602-1603, par Clément VIII pour son neveu, le cardinal Pietro Aldobrandini, d’après les plans de l’architecte Giacomo della Porta. Oliviero Olivieri, gardien des fontaines de la Villa d’Este, y installa les jeux d’eau. La grille de l’entrée principale, due à Carlo Bizaccheri, date de 1710. Parmi les nombreuses statues il y en avait autrefois qui produisaient de la musique, un mécanisme hydraulique chassant l’air dans les instruments qu’elles tenaient ; et des secrets, habilement dissimulés, actionnaient des petits jets d’eau arrosant les promeneurs.

[The Italian gardens of the Renaissance were inspired by the gardens of imperial Rome. Their distribution is panoramic and symmetrical, by means of terraces and staircases, pons, waterworks, and colonnades, so that the garden forms a harmonious whole with the villa that surrounds it. / The straight line is the rule; statues and marbles, skillfully arranged, break uniformity without destroying it. The walkways lead to interesting viewpoints. / Villa Aldobrandini, in Frascati (a small town near Rome), is one of the largest and most beautiful Roman villas; its wonderful site earned it the epithet Villa del Belvedere. / It was built in 1602-1603 by Clement VIII for his nephew, Cardinal Pietro Aldobrandini, after the plans of architect Giacomo della Porta. Oliviero Olivieri, guardian of the fountains of Villa d’Este, installed the waterworks. The gate of the main entrance, by Carolo Bizaccheri, dates from 1710. Among the many statues there were hydraulic mechanisms that produced music, passing air through the instruments they held; and secret objects, cleverly concealed, spouted small jets of water, spraying the garden’s walkers.]

Collection

Ephemera Collection
 

Repository

Dumbarton Oaks Archives, 054.SUZ.02.PCbox.095
Dumbarton Oaks, Washington, DC
Accession number AR.EP.TC.0647
Creator
Places
Villa Aldobrandini (Frascati [Italy])
Frascati (Italy)
Italy
Date
1930
Measurements
2.75 x 4.5 inches
Materials/Techniques
illustration
Work types
trade card