You are here:Home/Research/ Library & Archives/ Dumbarton Oaks Archives/ Collections/ Ephemera Collection/ Jardins Italiens 2. Frascati - La Villa Falconieri

Jardins Italiens 2. Frascati - La Villa Falconieri

 
Accession number AR.EP.TC.0648
Creator
Places
Villa Falconieri (Frascati [Italy])
Frascati (Italy)
Italy
Date
1930
Measurements
2.75 x 4.5 inches
Materials/Techniques
illustration
Work types
trade card

Description

TRANSCRIPTION

Jardins Italiens [Italian gardens]. - 2. Frascati - La Villa Falconieri

Les Produits Liebig donnent force et saveur aux aliments [Liebig products give foods strength and flavor].

Cette villa fut construite en 1546 par Alessandro Ruffini, évêque de Melfi, auquel elle doit son premier nom de « Ruffina », qui fit bientôt place à celui de « villa de la Madeleine ». Paul III, pour commémorer la création de la villa, fit frapper une médaille portant au recto son effigie, et au verso Frascati et la villa avec l’exergue « Ruffina Tuscolo Rest ». Seuls subsistent de ces premières constructions l’escalier du petit lac, des colonnes et quelques balustrades. / La villa passa ensuite eux mains des Falconieri, et en 1648 Orazio Falconieri y fit construire, par l’architecte Francesco Borromini, un nouveau palais, simple, de belles lignes, sur une terrasse d’où l’on aperçoit Tivoli, et fit aménager les jardins aux parterres modérés et aux ombrages touffus. On y admire un bassin entouré de magnifiques cyprès. / En 1925, le Gouvernement italien fit don de cette villa à Gabriele d’Annunzio, pour honorer le grand poète et pour le récompenser des services rendus à la patrie.

[This villa was built in 1546 by Alessandro Ruffini, Bishop of Melfi, to whom it owes its first name of “Ruffina,” which soon gave way to “Villa de la Madeleine.” Paul III, to commemorate the creation of the villa, minted a medal bearing his effigy on the front and Frascati and the villa with the inscription “Ruffina Tuscolo Rest” on the back. All that survives from the original construction are the staircase of the small lake, the columns, and some balustrades. / The villa was passed into the hands of the Falconieris, and in 1648 Orazio Falconieri had architect Francesco Borromin build a new, simple palace with beautiful lines, on a hillside from which Tivoli can be seen, and arranged gardens with moderate flowerbeds and dense shade. There is also a pool surrounded by magnificent cypress trees. / In 1925, the Italian government gave this villa to Gabriele d’Annunzio to honor the great poet and to reward him for services rendered to the country.]

Collection

Ephemera Collection
 

Repository

Dumbarton Oaks Archives, 054.SUZ.02.PCbox.095
Dumbarton Oaks, Washington, DC
Accession number AR.EP.TC.0648
Creator
Places
Villa Falconieri (Frascati [Italy])
Frascati (Italy)
Italy
Date
1930
Measurements
2.75 x 4.5 inches
Materials/Techniques
illustration
Work types
trade card