You are here:Home/Research/ Library & Archives/ Dumbarton Oaks Archives/ Collections/ Ephemera Collection/ Jardins Italiens 6. Bagnaia - La Villa Lante

Jardins Italiens 6. Bagnaia - La Villa Lante

 
Accession number AR.EP.TC.0652
Creator
Places
Villa Lante (Bagnaia [Italy])
Bagnaia (Viterbo [Italy])
Viterbo (Italy)
Italy
Date
1930
Measurements
2.75 x 4.5 inches
Materials/Techniques
illustration
Work types
trade card

Description

TRANSCRIPTION

Jardins Italiens [Italian gardens]. - 6. Bagnaia - La Villa Lante.

Produits Liebig, produits de qualité [Liebig products, quality products].

Les premières constructions de Bagnaia (près de Viterbo) remontent à 1477 et sont dues à Raffaele Sansono Riario, évêque de Viterbo. La villa, séjour favori des cardinaux-évêques, fut embellie par Nicola Ridolfi et ses successeurs, mais sa réputation actuelle est due à l’évêque G. F. Gambara (1566) et à Alessandro Peretti, neveu de Sixte V, qui l’habitait en 1588 et construisit le second casino et plusieurs fontaines. On attribue la construction de la villa à Vignole, le célèbre architecte, auteur de l’ouvrage sur « les cinq ordres de l’architecture ». / Devant les deux casinos situés en parallèle se trouvait un jardin de plein pied, ayant pour principal ornement le grand bassin du Mori. Dans le fond, ce jardin s’élevait en quatre terrasses agrémentées de fontaines, pavillons, statues, etc. A gauche du jardin il y avait un parc avec un labyrinthe et des fontaines variées, dont la plus belle était celle de Pégase. Suivant Montaigne, les installations d’eau furent faites par un certain Maestro Tommaso de Sienne.

[The first construction at Bagnaia (near Viterbo) goes back to 1477 and was due to Raffaele Sansono Riario, bishop of Viterbo. The villa, a favorite residence of cardinals and bishops, was embellished by Nicola Ridolfi and his successors, but its actual reputation was due to Bishop G. F. Gambara (1566) and Alessandro Peretti, nephew of Sixtus V, who lived there in 1588 and built the second casino and several fountains. The construction of the villa is attributed to Vignole, the famous architect and author of “The Five Orders of Architecture.” / In front of and parallel to the two casinos is a level garden with the large Mori pool as its principle ornament. In the background, the garden rises in four terraces decorated with fountains, pavilions, statues, etc. To the left of the garden is a park with a maze and various fountains, the most beautiful of which is the Pegasus. According to Montaigne, the water installations were made by Maestro Tommaso from Siena.]

Collection

Ephemera Collection
 

Repository

Dumbarton Oaks Archives, 054.SUZ.02.PCbox.095
Dumbarton Oaks, Washington, DC
Accession number AR.EP.TC.0652
Creator
Places
Villa Lante (Bagnaia [Italy])
Bagnaia (Viterbo [Italy])
Viterbo (Italy)
Italy
Date
1930
Measurements
2.75 x 4.5 inches
Materials/Techniques
illustration
Work types
trade card