Lévy Fils et Cie

Paris, France, 1895–1920 (Printer)

The original firm of Léon & Lévy (LL) was a French printing house and photograph publishing company located in Paris. It was founded in 1864 by Isaac Georges Lévy (also known as Georges Lévy and J. Lévy) (1833–1913) and his father-in-law, Moysé Léon (b. 1812). The firm specialized in stereoscopic glass plates and picture postcards and became one of the most important postcard publishers in France. Léon left the firm in 1872, and the firm was renamed J. Lévy & Cie. In 1895, when Lévy's two sons, Abraham Lucien Lévy and Gaspard Ernest Lévy, took over the firm, the company was renamed Lévy Fils et Cie. About 1920, the firm was acquired by the printer Émile Crête who also acquired the firm of Neurdein Frères, and the new combined company was known as Lévy et Neurdein Réunis. The credit line for Lévy Fils et Cie typically incorporates the trademark for the Union Syndicale des maîtres Imprimeurs de France ("labor union of master printers of France") (USI).

Lévy Fils et Cie Credit Line Lévy Fils et Cie Credit Line

 

References

Naomi Schor, "Cartes Postales: Representing Paris 1900" in Postcards: Ephemeral Histories of Modernity, eds. David Prochaska and Jordana Mendelsohn (University Park, Pa.: Pennsylvania State University Press, 2010), 9-10.