You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ Arsenios bishop of Paphos (tenth/eleventh century)

Arsenios bishop of Paphos (tenth/eleventh century)

Accession number BZS.1951.31.5.1331
Diameter 25 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 2, no. 39.2.
Laurent, Corpus V/2, no. 1488.

Obverse

Bust of St. Philagrios blessing and holding a book. Remains of an inscription: ΙΛΑΓ: Ὁ ἅγιος Φιλάγριος. Border of dots.

Reverse

Inscription of five lines, decorations above and below. Border of dots.


ΑΡΣΕΝ,

ΕΛΕΟΘΥ̅
.ΠΗΣΚ,Π,
ΠΑ

Ἀρσένιος ἐλέο Θεοπησκοπος Πάφου

Translation

Ἀρσένιος ἐλέο Θεοῦ ἐπισκοπος Πάφου.

Arsenios by the mercy of God bishop of Paphos.

Commentary

St. Philagrios was a follower of St. Paul and bishop of Cyprus (Syn. Eccl. CP, 454, line 36).

Paphos (modern Nea Paphos), an ancient city and bishopric (attested in 325). The region may have  been occupied by the Arabs from the 7th century to 965. Our seals show that the city did not wait for the 12th century to flourish in a Byzantine milieu but instead quickly became a place of concentration of agricultural produce and the seat of bishop. See Darrouzès, Notitiae, no. 3, line 165; no. 10, line 764; Laurent, Corpus V/2, 314-15; J. Darrouzès, "Textes synodaux chypriotes, REB 37 (1979) 23-30; Malamut, Iles, passim, esp. 253-55.

Accession number BZS.1951.31.5.1331
Diameter 25 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 2, no. 39.2.
Laurent, Corpus V/2, no. 1488.

Notes

Accession number BZS.1951.31.5.1331
Diameter 25 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 2, no. 39.2.
Laurent, Corpus V/2, no. 1488.

Parallels

Related Content