You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ (The monastery of) the Anargyroi of Kosmidion (eleventh century)

(The monastery of) the Anargyroi of Kosmidion (eleventh century)

Accession number BZS.1951.31.5.281
Diameter 30 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 39.1a; Laurent, Corpus 5.2: no. 1145. Similar specimens published by Zacos, Seals II, no. 604; Seibt–Zarnitz, no. 5.3.7 (second-third quarter of eleventh century); and G. Schlumberger, RN 9 (1905): 323, no. 207 (with drawing). The Schlumberger example is now in the St. Petersburg Collection (=M 5566). In publishing the Fogg specimen, Laurent printed the legend on the reverse of the Schlumberger specimen, but he reproduced the Fogg seal in the plate album.

Obverse

Half-length depictions of St. Kosmas (left) and St. Damian (right), each blessing with his right hand and holding a rotulus in his left. Inscription in four columns (three visible). In center:  : Ὁ ἅ(γιος). At right: Δ|α|μι|α|ν, : Δαμιαν(ός). Border of dots.

Reverse

Inscription of five lines. Border of dots.

σφραγ,
τνανα
ργυρν
τκοσ
μιδ,

Σφραγ(ὶς) τῶν Ἀναργύρων τοῦ Κοσμιδ(ίου)

Translation

Σφραγὶς τῶν Ἀναργύρων τοῦ Κοσμιδίου.

Seal (of the monastery of) the Anargyroi of Kosmidion.

Commentary

According to Janin (Églises, 286) the extramural church of the Kosmidion was built by a certain Paulinus, an intimate of Thedosios II. He places the Kosmidion on the western side of Eyüp, on the hillside bordering the sea. Mango, however, is dubious (see his "on the Cult of the Saints Cosmas and Damian at Constantinople," 189–192). In line with the sources (see the Chronicon pashale, Bonn ed., 713.9–10), he places it ἐν Βλαχέρναις. Since the Blachernae and the Kosmidion shared a healing bath (lousma), he favors locating the church of the Kosmidion on a hill just outside the Blachernae walls. He is inclined to attribute the construction of the church to about 480 and to Paulina, the mother of the usurper Leontios (484–488). The Avars destroyed the church in the siege of 626.

When the monastery was erected is not known. Janin places it in the sixth century. This seal shows that a monastery at Kosmidion was functioning in the eleventh century. It may belong to the period when Michael IV (1034–1041) added a bath and had the grounds renewed with a garden. He refurbished the church and had it adorned with marbles and mosaics (Janin, Églises, 287).

This seal has a twelve-syllable verse. The second A of the columnar inscription on the obverse at right is followed by an unnecessary suspension mark. Laurent incorrectly read the obverse columnar inscription at left as Δ - Α - ΜΙ - Α - ΟΝ.

Accession number BZS.1951.31.5.281
Diameter 30 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 39.1a; Laurent, Corpus 5.2: no. 1145. Similar specimens published by Zacos, Seals II, no. 604; Seibt–Zarnitz, no. 5.3.7 (second-third quarter of eleventh century); and G. Schlumberger, RN 9 (1905): 323, no. 207 (with drawing). The Schlumberger example is now in the St. Petersburg Collection (=M 5566). In publishing the Fogg specimen, Laurent printed the legend on the reverse of the Schlumberger specimen, but he reproduced the Fogg seal in the plate album.

Accession number BZS.1951.31.5.281
Diameter 30 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 39.1a; Laurent, Corpus 5.2: no. 1145. Similar specimens published by Zacos, Seals II, no. 604; Seibt–Zarnitz, no. 5.3.7 (second-third quarter of eleventh century); and G. Schlumberger, RN 9 (1905): 323, no. 207 (with drawing). The Schlumberger example is now in the St. Petersburg Collection (=M 5566). In publishing the Fogg specimen, Laurent printed the legend on the reverse of the Schlumberger specimen, but he reproduced the Fogg seal in the plate album.

Notes

Accession number BZS.1951.31.5.281
Diameter 30 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 39.1a; Laurent, Corpus 5.2: no. 1145. Similar specimens published by Zacos, Seals II, no. 604; Seibt–Zarnitz, no. 5.3.7 (second-third quarter of eleventh century); and G. Schlumberger, RN 9 (1905): 323, no. 207 (with drawing). The Schlumberger example is now in the St. Petersburg Collection (=M 5566). In publishing the Fogg specimen, Laurent printed the legend on the reverse of the Schlumberger specimen, but he reproduced the Fogg seal in the plate album.