You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ The monastery of the Panachrantos (eleventh/twelfth century)

The monastery of the Panachrantos (eleventh/twelfth century)

Accession number BZS.1951.31.5.2820
Diameter 23 mm
Condition Doublestruck (obverse)
Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 51.1; Laurent, Corpus 5.2: no. 1169 (with misreading). See also Wassiliou-Seibt, Siegel mit metrischen Legenden II, no. 1805.


Seemingly a bust of the Mother of God. Nimbus visible and the letter Θ at right. Border of dots.


Inscription of five lines, preceded by decoration. Border of dots.


Ποίμνης μοναστῶν τῆς Παναχράντου τύπ(ος)


Ποίμνης μοναστῶν τῆς Παναχράντου τύπος.

Seal of the monastic flock (community)  of the Immaculate Virgin.


Twelve-syllable verse. Laurent read the first word of the inscription on the reverse as πατριαρχικοῦ and the last two lines of the reverse as Θε(ο)τόκ(ου).

The earliest mention of this monastery dates from 1073. It was famous for two relics: the head of St. Basil and the footprints of St. Paul. Later it became a nunnery, perhaps in the second half of the fourteenth century. It was located in the area of St. Sophia. Janin, Églises, 214–25.