You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / Leo bishop of Mylasa (eleventh century)

Leo bishop of Mylasa (eleventh century)

Accession Number:
BZS.1955.1.4654

Previous Editions

DO Seals 2, no. 71.2.
Cf. similar seal in the Seyrig collection (Laurent, Corpus V/1, no. 522 bis; Seyrig, no. 259).

Details

Diameter:
29 mm
Field:
23 mm
Condition:
Corroded and cracked below at channel opening.

Obverse

Leo bishop of Mylasa (eleventh century)

Bust of the Virgin holding Christ. On either side the sigla:  ̅ΡΘ̅Υ : Μήτηρ Θεοῦ. Border of dots.

Reverse

Leo bishop of Mylasa (eleventh century)

Inscription of four lines, decorations above and below. Border of dots.

 
ΛΕΟΝΤ,
ΕΠΗΣΚΟΠ,
ΜΥΛ.Σ

Λέοντος ἐπησκόπου Μυλάσων

Translation

Λέοντος ἐπησκόπου Μυλάσων.

(Seal of) Leo, bishop of Mylasa.

Audio

Commentary

Mylasa (ἡ Μύλασα or τὰ Μύλασα [this is the antique form, Zgusta, 406]: modern Milâs) was a bishopric suffragan to Aphrodisias/Stauroupolis as early as the 5th century; its representatives attended the councils of 787, 869, and 879. It appears in all notitiae from the 7th to the 13th century. In the 12th century, it became the center of the theme "of Mylasa and Melanoudion." See Laurent, Corpus V/1, 384; Fedalto, 200; REB 29 (1971) 309-12; ODB II, 1428.

 

Document Actions