You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / Theodore archbishop of Selge (?) (eleventh century)

Theodore archbishop of Selge (?) (eleventh century)

Accession Number:
BZS.1955.1.4682

Previous Editions

DO Seals 2, no. 77.2.

Details

Diameter:
20 mm

Obverse

Theodore archbishop of Selge (?) (eleventh century)

Bust of the Virgin with hands open in front of her. On either side the sigla: ΜΡ̅ΘΥ̅ : Μήτηρ Θεοῦ. Border of dots.

Reverse

Theodore archbishop of Selge (?) (eleventh century)

Inscription of five lines, bottom line effaced. Border of dots.

..Ε,Θ,
.ΕΟΔΡ,
.ΠΙΣΚ,Π,
ΣΕΛΓ

Θεοτόκε βοήθει Θεοδώρ ἀρχιεπισκόπ Σέλγης (?)

Translation

Θεοτόκε βοήθει Θεοδώρῳ ἀρχιεπισκόπῳ Σέλγης.

Mother of God, help Theodore archbishop of Selge.

Audio

Commentary

The letters of the last line are muddled, and their reading is not secure. Also, there is a problem of space in line 3: only one letter is missing at the beginning of the line. Because we can see the remains of a chi suspended above the line, we assume that the ligature Α and Ρ lay beneath it.

Selge (today Zerk/Altınkaya) was a bishopric suffragan of Side since at least the 5th century; in the early 9th century, it was elevated to the rank of archbishopric and is attested as such in all notitiae. See Laurent, Corpus V/1, 652 (add Zacos, Seals II, no. 570); Fedalto, 244-45; Brandes, Städte, 128; Zgusta, 551-52.

 

Document Actions