You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ Michael archbishop of Kios (eleventh century)

Michael archbishop of Kios (eleventh century)

 
 

Obverse

An angel standing, no doubt St. Michael, holding a globus in his left hand. No inscription visible. Border of dots.

Reverse

Inscription of four lines. No border visible.

μιχα.
λαρχι.
ισκοπ.
κιο.

Μιχα[ὴ]λ ἀρχι[επ]ισκόπ[ου] Κίο[υ]

Obverse

An angel standing, no doubt St. Michael, holding a globus in his left hand. No inscription visible. Border of dots.

Reverse

Inscription of four lines. No border visible.

μιχα.
λαρχι.
ισκοπ.
κιο.

Μιχα[ὴ]λ ἀρχι[επ]ισκόπ[ου] Κίο[υ]

Accession number BZS.1955.1.4708
Diameter 18.0 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 3, no. 50.4.

 

Translation

Μιχαὴλ ἀρχιεπισκόπου Κίου.

(Seal of) Michael, archbishop of Kios.

Commentary

Kios (modern Gemlik) is located in a gulf on the sea of Marmara; it was a place of concentration of agricultural produce. It is attested as a see as early as the Council of Nicaea (325) and is listed as an archbishopric in all notitiae until the fourteenth century. See Laurent, Corpus V/1, 648; Zgusta, 266-67.