You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / John metropolitan of Patras (eleventh century)

John metropolitan of Patras (eleventh century)

Accession Number:
BZS.1955.1.4818

Previous Editions

DO Seals 2, no. 34.2.

Details

Diameter:
22 mm
Condition:
Dented and corroded.

Obverse

John metropolitan of Patras (eleventh century)

Bust of St. Andrew, details indistinct. Inscription: |Α|ΝΔ|Ρ: ὁ ἅγιος Ἀνδρεας. Border of dots.

Reverse

John metropolitan of Patras (eleventh century)

Inscription of five lines, a decoration above. Border of dots.

 
ΙΑΝ
.ΕΛΕΘΥ
ΜΗΤΡΟΠ
ΟΛΠΑΤ
ΡΝ

Ἰωάννης ἐλέῳ Θεοῦ μητροπολίτης Πατρῶν.

Translation

Ἰωάννης ἐλέῳ Θεοῦ μητροπολίτης Πατρῶν.

John, by the mercy of God metropolitan of Patras.

Audio

Commentary

Today Patras, the city of St. Andrew. The see of Patras was functioning by the 4th century; it is mentioned as an archbishopric in the iconoclastic notitia and perhaps in the council of 787 (Darrouzès, Notitiae, 23, note 1 and no. 3, line 55). Sometime between 802 and 806 it was raised to the rank of a metropolis by being attributed three suffragans: Lakedaimonia, Methone and Korone. All this information concerning the foundation of the metropolis and its right to collect taxes from the neighboring Slavic populations is related to a miraculous intervention of St. Andrew to save the city from Slav rebels. In the 10th century, an archon exercised authority in Patras (Corinth XII, no. 2705). See Laurent, in REB 21 (1963) 129-36; Laurent, Corpus V/1, 471; Fedalto, 517-19; ODB II, 1597-98; Bon, Morée francque, 449-57.

 

Document Actions