You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / Sisinnios metropolitan of Perge (seventh/eighth century)

Sisinnios metropolitan of Perge (seventh/eighth century)

Accession Number:
BZS.1955.1.4832

Previous Editions

DO Seals 2, no. 75.1.
Laurent, Corpus V/3, no. 1744.
Zacos-Veglery, no. 1002.

Details

Diameter:
30 mm
Field:
18 mm

Obverse

Sisinnios metropolitan of Perge (seventh/eighth century)

Inscription of four lines, a decoration above. Wreath border.

·  ·
σισιν
ιουμη
τροπολ
ιτ.υ 

Σισινίου μητροπολίτου

Reverse

Sisinnios metropolitan of Perge (seventh/eighth century)

Inscription of two lines between floral decorations. Wreath border.


περγ
ησ
 

Πέργης

Translation

Σισινίου μητροπολίτου Πέργης.

(Seal of) Sisinnios metropolitan of Perge.

Audio

Commentary

Perge, the ecclesiastical metropolis of Pamphylia (ruins 15 km to the northeast of Attaleia), was represented at the Council of Ankyra in 314. It appears in all the notitiae. It seems that sometime around 800, the metropolitan moved (with the population) to the nearby administrative center of Syllaion (ruins between Yanköy and Asar Köyü, further east), so that the metropolitan became known as Πέργης ἤτοι Συλλαίου. In the 15th century we meet the (titular) metropolitan Πέργης καὶ Ἀτταλείας (L. Petit, X. Siderides, M. Jugie, Oeuvres complètes de Gennade Scholarios III [Paris, 1930], 193). See Laurent, Corpus V/1, 407; Fedalto, 246; Zgusta, 484, 568; V. Ruggieri-F. Nethercott, "The Metropolitan City of Syllion and its Churches," JÖB 36 (1986) 133-56; ODB III, 1980.

 

Document Actions