You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / Theodosios metropolitan of Kamachos (tenth/eleventh century)

Theodosios metropolitan of Kamachos (tenth/eleventh century)

Accession Number:
BZS.1955.1.4839

Previous Editions

DO Seals 4, no. 65.4.

Details

Diameter:
30 mm
Field:
23 mm

Obverse

Theodosios metropolitan of Kamachos (tenth/eleventh century)

Bust of St. George holding a spear in his right hand and a shield in his left hand. Inscription in two columns: ο|α|γι|ο,-γ|ε|ορ|γι|ο, : Ὁ ἅγιο(ς) Γεόργιο(ς). Border of dots.

Reverse

Theodosios metropolitan of Kamachos (tenth/eleventh century)

Inscription of five lines, a decoration below. Border of dots.

+κ̅εRˊθ
θεοδοσ
μητροπο
.ιτηκα
.αχ

Κ(ύρι)ε β(οή)θ(ει) Θεοδοσ(ίῳ) μητροπο[λ]ίτῃ Κα[μ]άχου.

Translation

Κύριε βοήθει Θεοδοσίῳ μητροπολίτῃ Καμάχου.

Lord, help Theodosios, metropolitan of Kamachos.

Audio

Commentary

Only a round bottom remains from the last letter of the second line of the reverse, which is enough to impose the reading Θεοδοσίῳ.

Kamachos (also Kamacha, the modern Kemah) is located to the southwest of Erzincan on the south bank of the Euphrates. It became a metropolis after 911 with the establishment of the theme of Mesopotamia (Laurent, Corpus V/1, 571). See also Sinclair II, 415 ff.

 

Document Actions