You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / Paul presbyteros of the monastery of the property of Narses (seventh century)

Paul presbyteros of the monastery of the property of Narses (seventh century)

Accession Number:
BZS.1955.1.4939

Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 47.1; Zacos–Veglery, no. 450. Laurent, Vatican, no. 169 (= Corpus 5.2: no. 1162; seventh/eighth century) seems to be from the same boulloterion, as well from the same stock of blanks.

Details

Diameter:
27 mm
Field:
19 mm

Obverse

Paul presbyteros of the monastery of the property of Narses (seventh century)

Cruciform monogram consisting of the letters Π, at left; Λ, at right; Α, at bottom; and an omicron-upsilon ligature, at top. Wreath border.


Παύλου

Reverse

Paul presbyteros of the monastery of the property of Narses (seventh century)

Inscription of four lines. Wreath border.

πρε
σβυτερ/
Μτονν
αρσ 

Πρεσβυτέρου μονῆς τον Ναρσοῦ

Translation

Παύλου πρεσβυτέρου μονῆς τον Ναρσοῦ.

(Seal of) Paul, priest of the monastery of the property of Narses.

Audio

Commentary

This seal demonstrates that a monastery ta Narsou existed in the seventh century. The Narses remembered here may be the praipositos whom the Patria (249) records as active in the time of Justin II and Sophia, and on whose estate there came to be erected a xenon and an gerokomeion. It was also the site of a church of the Theotokos where were deposited the relics of the martyrs Probos, Tarachos, and Andronikos (P. Gautier, "Précisions historiques sur le monastère de ta Narsou," 104). Whether the monastery of this seal is the same monastery mentioned in the eleventh- and twelfth-century sources is problematic. The quarter ta Narsou was located north of the Forum of Theodosios and on a declivity going from the area of the Bazaar down to the Golden Horn (Janin, Églises, 360).

 

Document Actions

Filed under: ,