You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / Christophoros monk and higoumenos (of the monastery) tou Agrou (tenth century)

Christophoros monk and higoumenos (of the monastery) tou Agrou (tenth century)

Accession Number:
BZS.1955.1.4941

Previous Editions

DO Seals 3, no. 42.1.

Laurent, Corpus V/3, no. 1938.

Details

Diameter:
18 mm
Condition:
Blank too small. Corroded.

Obverse

Christophoros monk and higoumenos (of the monastery) tou Agrou (tenth century)

Bust of a monastic saint with short beard, his head covered by a high, peaked cowl. Details of the hands obscure. No inscription or border visible.

Reverse

Christophoros monk and higoumenos (of the monastery) tou Agrou (tenth century)

Inscription of five lines. No border visible.

+χρισ.
οφορμ
νχοSηγ
υμεντ
γρου

Χρισ[τ]οφόρῳ μ[ο]ναχο (καὶ) ἡγ[ο]υμένῳ τοῦ Ἀγροῦ

Translation

Χριστοφόρῳ μοναχο καὶ ἡγουμένῳ τοῦ Ἀγροῦ.

Christophoros, monk and higoumenos tou Agrou.

Audio

Commentary

The monastic saint depicted on the obverse of this seal may be the founder of the monastery, St. Theophanes the Chronographer. See BZS.1958.106.459, BZS.1958.106.460, and BZS.1947.2.1383.

The monastery τοῦ Ἀγροῦ or τοῦ Μεγάλου Ἀγροῦ was founded ca. 786 by St. Theophanes the Confessor at the foot of Mt. Sigriane (near the modern Turkish village of Kursunlu) between Kyzikos and the mouth of the Ryndakos River (Laurent, Corpus V/3, 242; Janin, Grands centres, 195-99). The monastery probably suffered decline in the later eleventh century, but revived in the thirteenth century, and was still functioning in the early fourteenth century. It is porbably that it was also called the monastery of St. Theophanes.