You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / (Seal of the monastery of) St. Symeon (eleventh century)

(Seal of the monastery of) St. Symeon (eleventh century)

Accession Number:
BZS 1955.1.4946

Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 10.1. See also Likhachev, Molivdovuly, p. 153 (no. LXVII, 17)

Details

Diameter:
30 mm
Condition:
Corroded.

Obverse

(Seal of the monastery of) St. Symeon (eleventh century)

Bust of St. Symeon Stylites the Younger orans on top of a column; the column is barely visible. Two faintly discernible letters at right preserve part of the inscription: Ε| : [Ὁ (ἅγιος) Συμ]εώ[ν]. Double border of dots enclosing a decorative pattern consisting of crosses alternating with pellets.

Reverse

(Seal of the monastery of) St. Symeon (eleventh century)

Inscription of five lines. Double border of dots enclosing a decorative pattern of crosses alternating with pellets.

ΕΥ
ΛΟΓΙΑΤ
ΟΥΑΓΙΟ.
ΣΥΜΕ.
Ν

Εὐλογία τοῦ ἁγίο[υ] Συμε[ώ]ν

Translation

Εὐλογία τοῦ ἁγίου Συμεών.

The blessing of St. Symeon.

Audio

Commentary

The monastic complex and shrine of St. Symeon the Younger (d. 592), which included a church and the saint’s pillar, was located atop the “Miraculous Mountain” sixteen kilometers southwest of Antioch (G. Vikan, “Art, Medicine, and Magic in early Byzantium”). It would appear that with the Byzantine recovery of Antioch in 969, the cult of St. Symeon flourished anew.

In addition to the present seal, BZS.1958.106.406, and Laurent, Corpus 5.2, no. 1559 bis, seals of the "monastery of the Miraculous Mountain" (Laurent, Corpus 5.2, no. 1650 and Seyrig, no. 288), the revival of the saint’s cult and shrine is also apparent from the composition of a paraphrase of the vita of St. Symeon by the governor of Antioch, Nikephoros Ouranos, about the year 1000 (PG 86[2], cols. 2987–3216).

 

Document Actions