You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / The laura of St. Sabas (eleventh century)

The laura of St. Sabas (eleventh century)

Accession Number:
BZS 1955.1.4949

Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 19.6. Parallel specimen in Sig., 319, no. 2 = Laurent, Corpus 5.2: no. 1578.

Details

Diameter:
22 mm
Field:
16 mm

Obverse

The laura of St. Sabas (eleventh century)

Bust of St. Sabas holding a small cross in his right hand and keeping his left open in front of him. Inscription: Ο|.|.Ι|..Σ|Α| /|Σ : Ὁ ἅ(γιος) Σάβ(α)ς. Border of dots.

Reverse

The laura of St. Sabas (eleventh century)

Inscription of three lines. Border of dots.

ΗΛΑΥ
ΡΑΤΟΥ
ΑΓΙΟΥ
ΣΑ /

Ἡ λαύρα τοῦ ἁγίου Σάβ(α)

Translation

Ἡ λαύρα τοῦ ἁγίου Σάβα.

The laura of St. Sabas.

Audio

Commentary

Now known as Mar Saba, located southeast of Jerusalem in the Judaean desert. The monastic complex of St. Sabas was founded in 483 by the famous ascete Sabas (d. 532) and continues to function today. See Laurent, Corpus 5.2:409; ODB 3:1823–24; and Patrich, Sabas.

 

Document Actions