You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / (John) protoproedros (of the protosynkelloi and metropolitan) of Side (eleventh century)

(John) protoproedros (of the protosynkelloi and metropolitan) of Side (eleventh century)

Accession Number:
BZS.1955.1.4993

Previous Editions

DO Seals 2, no. 78.3c.
Cf. Laurent, Corpus V/1, no. 407, along with three specimens from outside the DO collection, one from the Athens Museum and two from the IFEB collection.

Details

Diameter:
18 mm
Condition:
Corroded.

Obverse

(John) protoproedros (of the protosynkelloi and metropolitan) of Side (eleventh century)

Bust of St. Michael holding the labarum and the globus. On either side the inscription: Μ|ΙΧ|Α: Μιχαήλ. Border of dots between two linear borders.

Reverse

(John) protoproedros (of the protosynkelloi and metropolitan) of Side (eleventh century)

Inscription of five lines, a decoration below. Border of dots between two linear borders.

ΟΡΑ
ΣΦΡΑΓΙ
ΔΑΠΡΤΟ
ΠΡΟΕΔΡ
ΣΙΔΗΣ

Ὅρα σφραγίδα πρωτοπροέδρου Σίδης

Translation

Ὅρα σφραγίδα πρωτοπροέδρου Σίδης.

Behold the seal of the protoproedros of Side.

Audio

Commentary

Dodecasyllabic. John of Side as protoproedros of the protosynkelloi, a title that he received in 1071. It was not necessary for him to spell out his name because he was the only protoproedros of the protosynkelloi. See BZS 1955.1.4845.

Side (today Selimiye, previously also called Eski Antalya, at 7 km from Manavgat) was a major late antique city, metropolis of Pamphylia first attested in 451, and appearing as such in all notitiae from the 7th century onward. The city declined after the 7th century and was seemingly abandoned in the 11th, probably in favor of Attaleia (which, from bishopric, became [1084] metropolis), but "titular" metropolitans of Side continued being appointed. See Laurent, Corpus V/1, 293-94; Fedalto, 238; Brandes, Städte, 102-3; ODB III, 1892.