You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / Joseph monk of the Pantokrator monastery (twelfth century)

Joseph monk of the Pantokrator monastery (twelfth century)

Accession Number:
BZS.1955.1.5001

Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 54.1a; Laurent, Corpus 5.3: no. 1907. For a parallel specimen, see Zacos, Seals II, no. 537. The edition of the present specimen has been combined with its better preserved parallel noted below.

Details

Diameter:
22 mm
Condition:
Metallic copy.

Obverse

Joseph monk of the Pantokrator monastery (twelfth century)

Christ standing on a dais raising his right hand before him in blessing, and holding a book in his left. Sigla: Ι̅ΧΣ̅ : Ἰ(ησοῦ)ς Χ(ριστό)ς. Traces of circular inscription: οπαντκρατρ : Ὁ Παντ(ο)κράτωρ. Border of dots.

Reverse

Joseph monk of the Pantokrator monastery (twelfth century)

Inscription of four lines preceded by a cross and ending with a pellet. Border of dots.


σκεποισ
ισηφ
πντοκρ
τρ

Σκέποις (μον)αχ(ὸν) Ἰωσήφ, Παντοκράτωρ

Translation

Σκέποις μοναχὸν Ἰωσήφ, Παντοκράτωρ.

Pantokrator, watch over the monk Joseph.

Audio

Commentary

Twelve-syllable verse.

Emperor John II Komnenos (1118–1143) founded the monastery of the Pantokrator on a site east of the church of the Holy Apostles. The complex consisted of a male monastery, a hospital, a gerokomeion, and three churches: one dedicated to the Pantokrator, a second to St. Michael, and a third to the Theotokos Ἐλεοῦσα. According to John II's typikon of 1136, the monastery was home to some 80 monks, and was endowed with properties in Thrace, Macedonia, and the Peloponnesos. See ODB 4:1575, and Janin, Églises, 515–23; for the typikon, see Gautier, "Pantokrator," 1–145, and Byzantine Monastic Foundation Documents, 2:725–781.

 

Document Actions