You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / Niketas bishop of Servia (eleventh/twelfth century)

Niketas bishop of Servia (eleventh/twelfth century)

Accession Number:
BZS.1955.1.5020

Previous Editions

DO Seals 1, no. 25.2.
Laurent, Corpus V/3, no. 1730.

Details

Diameter:
16 mm

Obverse

Niketas bishop of Servia (eleventh/twelfth century)

Bust of the Virgin orans. Sigla: : Μήτηρ Θεο. Indeterminate border.

Reverse

Niketas bishop of Servia (eleventh/twelfth century)

Inscription of four lines. No visible border.

ΣΦΡΑΓ
ΝΙΚΙΤΑΣ
ΕΡΙΕΠ
ΙΣΚΟΠ

Σφραγὶς Νικίτα Σερβίου ἐπισκόπου

Translation

Σφραγὶς Νικίτα Σερβίου ἐπισκόπου.

Seal of Niketas bishop of Servia.

Audio

Commentary

The reverse inscription is a twelve-syllable verse. Laurent rightly noted that the singular form, τὸ Σέρβιον, must be of popular origin.

Servia (modern Servia), southwest of Berroia, was established as a suffragan see of Thessalonica by the turn of the tenth century (Darrouzès, Notitiae, 278), if not earlier (see DO Seals 1, no. 25.1); cf. Laurent, Corpus V/3, 84-85. A strategos was also set up in Servia shortly before 1001; cf. Kekaumenos, 174, 433-35; Konstantopoulos, Stamoules, no. 85; Zakythinos, Mélétai 17 (1941) 226-27.

 

Document Actions