You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / The laura of St. Sabas (eleventh/twelfth century)

The laura of St. Sabas (eleventh/twelfth century)

Accession Number:
BZS 1955.1.5077

Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 19.7. Parallel specimens listed by Laurent, Corpus 5.2: no. 1577. See also Likhachev, Molivdovuly, 46 (no. LVIII, 16), and Seyrig, no. 287.

Details

Diameter:
24 mm

Obverse

The laura of St. Sabas (eleventh/twelfth century)

Bust of St. Sabas orans in monastic garb. Remains of a vertical inscription: Α|ΑΣ : [Ὁ ἅ(γιος) Σ]άβας. Border of dots.

Reverse

The laura of St. Sabas (eleventh/twelfth century)

Inscription of four lines. Border of dots.

ΤΗΣ
ΛΥΡΣ
ΤΓΙ
Σ

Τῆς λαύρας τοῦ ἁγίου Σάβα.

Translation

Τῆς λαύρας τοῦ ἁγίου Σάβα.

(Seal) of the laura of St. Sabas.

Audio

Commentary

Now known as Mar Saba, located southeast of Jersualem in the Judaean desert. The monastic complex of St. Sabas was founded in 483 by the famous ascete Sabas (d. 532) and continues to function today. See Laurent, Corpus 5.2:409; ODB 3:1823–24; and Patrich, Sabas.

 

Document Actions