You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / (John) proedros (= metropolitan) of Side and hypertimos (eleventh century)

(John) proedros (= metropolitan) of Side and hypertimos (eleventh century)

Accession Number:
BZS.1958.106.1149

Previous Editions

DO Seals 2, no. 78.4a.
Laurent (Corpus V/1, no. 408) edited two similar specimens issued by the same man, one in the Vienna Museum, the other in the Hermitage (= Pančenko, Katalog, no. 63).

Details

Diameter:
22 mm
Field:
19 mm
Condition:
Lead of deep gray color.

Obverse

(John) proedros (= metropolitan) of Side and hypertimos (eleventh century)

Bust of St. Michael holding the labarum and the globus. On either side the inscription: Μ|ΙΧ|Α: Μιχαήλ. Border of dots.

Reverse

(John) proedros (= metropolitan) of Side and hypertimos (eleventh century)

Inscription of five lines, a decoration above. Border of dots


ΣΦΡΑ
ΓΙΣΠΡΟΕ
ΔΡΤΗΣΣΙ
ΔΗΣΥΠΕΡ
ΤΙΜ

Σφραγὶς προέδρου τῆς Σίδης ὑπερτίμου

Translation

Σφραγὶς προέδρου τῆς Σίδης ὑπερτίμου.

Seal of the proedros of Side (and) hypertimos.

Audio

Commentary

Dodecasyllabic. This is the famous John of Side around 1079 (see commentary to BZS 1955.1.4845); he was the sole hypertimos and therefore did not need to spell out his name.

Side (today Selimiye, previously also called Eski Antalya, at 7 km from Manavgat) was a major late antique city, metropolis of Pamphylia first attested in 451, and appearing as such in all notitiae from the 7th century onward. The city declined after the 7th century and was seemingly abandoned in the 11th, probably in favor of Attaleia (which, from bishopric, became [1084] metropolis), but "titular" metropolitans of Side continued being appointed. See Laurent, Corpus V/1, 293-94; Fedalto, 238; Brandes, Städte, 102-3; ODB III, 1892.