You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / Niketas bishop of Andros (eleventh century)

Niketas bishop of Andros (eleventh century)

Accession Number:
BZS.1958.106.143

Previous Editions

DO Seals 2, no. 45.1.
Laurent, Corpus V/2, no. 1584.

Details

Diameter:
20 mm
Field:
16 mm
Condition:
Chipped.

Obverse

Niketas bishop of Andros (eleventh century)

Bust of the Virgin holding Christ. Sigla partially preserved at left: ̅ : Μήτηρ Θεο. Border of dots.

Reverse

Niketas bishop of Andros (eleventh century)

Inscription of six lines. Border of dots.

.ΘΚΕ
..ΗΘΕΙ
Ν..ΗΤΑ
.ΠΙΣΚΟ
ΠΑΝ
ΤΡ

Θεοτόκε βοήθει Νικήτᾳ πισκόπῳ Ἄντρου

Translation

Θεοτόκε βοήθει Νικήτᾳ ἐπισκόπῳ Ἄντρου.

Theotokos, help Niketas bishop of Andros.

Audio

Commentary

Note the demotic form Ἄντρου instead of Ἄνδρου. Cf. Psaltes, Grammatik, 94-95. Malamut, Iles, 366, fails to mention our seal in her list of the bishops of Andros.

The island of Andros, located southeast of Euboia, was organized as a bishopric, suffragan to Rhodes, by the mid-5th century. It seems that the island, affluent enough to constitute a separate dioikesis for the collection of taxes (Konstantopoulos, no. 101; Zacos-Veglery, no. 2388), was not abandoned during the Arab maritime raids of the 9th century. At the turn of the 10th it was attached to the metropolis of Athens (Darrouzès, Notitiae, no. 7, line 500). See Laurent, Corpus V/1, 536; Fedalto, 206-7; Malamut, Iles, esp. 210-12, 341, 347.

 

Document Actions