You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / The diakonia of the Antiphonetes (eleventh century, second half)

The diakonia of the Antiphonetes (eleventh century, second half)

Accession Number:
BZS.1958.106.169

Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 30.1; Laurent, Corpus 5.2: no. 1208. A parallel specimen is Seibt Collection, 335.

Details

Diameter:
19 mm

Obverse

The diakonia of the Antiphonetes (eleventh century, second half)

Christ standing, raising his right hand before him in blessing and holding a book in his left. Sigla: ΙΣ̅ΧΣ̅ : Ἰ(ησοῦ)ς Χ(ριστό)ς. Circular inscription beginning at 7 o'clock: ΟΠΑΝ.ΤΡ : ὁ Παν[τοκρά]τωρ. No visible border.

Reverse

The diakonia of the Antiphonetes (eleventh century, second half)

Inscription of five lines preceded by decoration. Border of dots.


ΗΙΑ
.ΝΗΑ
.ΑΝΤ
..ΝΗ
ΤΟΥ

Ἡ δια[κ]ωνήα [τ]οῦ Ἀντ[ιφ]ωνητοῦ

Translation

Ἡ διακωνήα τοῦ Ἀντιφωνητοῦ.

The diakonia of the Antiphonetes.

Audio

Commentary

An anonymous thirteenth-century source records that the empress Zoe came to be buried in a church that she built and dedicated to Christ Antiphonetes (ODB 1:439; Janin, Églises, 520). On the other hand, the famous icon of Christ Antiphonetes was preserved from the ninth century in the church of the Mother of God at Chalkoprateia.

It is possible that the diaconate of Christ Antiphonetes may have been attached to the church built by the empress Zoe, or it may have centered on the icon at the Chalkoprateia and was a service organization involved in the promotion of the icon's cult. Supporting this latter view is Cheynet's argument that an eleventh-century seal referring to the "pious servants" of Christ Antiphonetes (Cheynet, "Sceaux byzantins," 435 [no. 73]) could have referred to both officials of the sekreton (see also BZS.1955.1.4928) as well as members of a confraternity.

See Laurent, Orghidan, no. 192, for a similar seal, but from a different boulloterion.