You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / The diakonia of the Theotokos of the property of Verus (seventh/eighth century)

The diakonia of the Theotokos of the property of Verus (seventh/eighth century)

Accession Number:
BZS.1958.106.18

Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 34.1d; Zacos–Veglery, no. 1127a; Laurent, Corpus 5.2: no. 1221.

Details

Diameter:
25 mm
Condition:
Token; no channel for suspension. Holed.

Obverse

The diakonia of the Theotokos of the property of Verus (seventh/eighth century)

Bust of the Mother of God with Christ before her; at left and right, small crosses. Circular inscription, beginning at 12 o'clock, between a double border of dots.

..ε...ισθεοτοκ

[Ὑπ]ε[ραγ]ίας Θεοτόκ[ου]

Reverse

The diakonia of the Theotokos of the property of Verus (seventh/eighth century)

Inscription of four lines. Wreath border.

δι
κονισ
τονβι
ροΥ

Διακονίας τον Βίρου

Translation

Ὑπεραγίας Θεοτόκου Διακονίας τον Βίρου.

(Seal of) the diakonia of the most holy Theotokos of the property of Verus.

Audio

Commentary

The Βῆρος remembered on this seal may well the the Verus of legend who, like Zotikos and Sampson, supposedly left Rome in the time of Constantine the Great and purchased property in Constantinople that later became charitable institutions. See Syn. Eccl. CP., col. 359, line 42.

In Zacos–Veglery, no. 2099, we find a ninth-century seal of a Leo, cleric and chartoularios of the property of Verus.

 

Document Actions