You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / Constantine horreiarios of the (imperial?) estate of Pegai (eleventh century)

Constantine horreiarios of the (imperial?) estate of Pegai (eleventh century)

Accession Number:
BZS.1958.106.2159

Previous Editions

DO Seals 3, no. 65.1.

Details

Diameter:
21 mm
Condition:
Chipped at top; blank too small for die.

Obverse

Constantine horreiarios of the (imperial?) estate of Pegai (eleventh century)

Bust of St. Nicholas; book vislble in his right hand. Inscription in two columns: |Ν|ΙΚ||Λ: Ὁ ἅ(γιος) Νικώ(λαος). No visible border.

Reverse

Constantine horreiarios of the (imperial?) estate of Pegai (eleventh century)

Inscription of five lines, the final letter between horizontal bars. Indeterminate border.

ΤΝΤ,
..ΕΙΡ,Τ.
ΚΤΗΜΤ
ΤΝΠ.
Γ

[Κωνσ]ταντ(ίνῳ) [ὡρ]ειαρ(ίῳ) τοῦ [β(ασιλικοῦ)] κτήματ(ος) τῶν Π[η]γ(ῶν)

Translation

Κωνσταντίνῳ ὡρειαρίῳ τοῦ βασιλικοῦκτήματος τῶν Πηγῶν.

Constantine horreiarios of the imperial estate of Pegai.

Audio

Commentary

Sloppy engraving on the reverse. The restitution of the name Constantine is fairly secure, given the letters preserved; supplying βασιλικοῦ is much more tentative and is based on on the fact that only one letter, enough for the necessary abbreviation, is missing here.

Today known as Karabiga, Pegai lay at the entrance to the Sea of Marmara. We know that the trading port gained in importance from the twelfth century onward, but our seal shows that already in the eleventh it was a center for exporting agricultural produce from the hinterland. In the thirteenth century, the importance of Pegai increased, especially after Greeks from Monembasia settled there; the city became a metropolis (without suffragans) by assimilating the nearby archbishopric of Parion (DO Seals 3, no. 64). See ODB III, 1615-1616; H. Kalligas, Byzantine Monemvasia (Monemvasia, 1990), passim.

 

Document Actions