You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / (The monastery? of) the Theotokos Panagiotissa (eleventh century)

(The monastery? of) the Theotokos Panagiotissa (eleventh century)

Accession Number:
BZS.1958.106.223

Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 52.1; Laurent, Corpus 5.2: no. 1170 (with misreading).

Details

Diameter:
22 mm

Obverse

(The monastery? of) the Theotokos Panagiotissa (eleventh century)

Bust of the Mother of God holding a medallion of Christ. At left and right: ̅ΘΥ̅ : Μ(ήτη)ρ Θ(εο)ῦ. Indeterminate border.

Reverse

(The monastery? of) the Theotokos Panagiotissa (eleventh century)

Inscription of five lines, the final letter between two horizontal bars. Indeterminate border.

τ..
Υπεραγ.
ασθ̅κ̅τ
παναγι


Τ[ῆς] Ὑπεραγ[ί]ας Θ(εοτό)κου τ(ῶν) Παναγίου

Translation

Τῆς Ὑπεραγίας Θεοτόκου τῶν Παναγίου.

(Seal of the monastery of) the most holy Theotokos Panagiotissa.

Audio

Commentary

Fifteen-syllable verse. The reading of the final line is based on comparison with a similar (but not parallel) specimen published in Zacos, Seals II, no. 766.

Laurent suggests that originally the Theotokos Panagiotissa was a monastery of men. This seal and similar specimens establish that a structure of this name was in existence in the eleventh century. It was located on the side of a hill below the Phanar quarter. See Laurent, Corpus 5.2: 95, and Janin, Églises, 214.

 

Document Actions