You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ John bishop of the city of Tlos (seventh/eighth century)

John bishop of the city of Tlos (seventh/eighth century)

Accession number BZS.1958.106.247
Diameter 25 mm
Field diameter 19 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 2, no. 81.1.
Laurent, Corpus V/1, no. 511.

Obverse

A cruciform monogram of Θεοτόκε βοήθει: Η at l., ΤΟ at the top, ΚΕ at r., Β at the bottom, Θ at center. In the quarters: ΙΩΑΝ|Ν. Wreath border.

Θεοτόκε βοήθει Ἰωάννου

Reverse

Inscription of four lines, followed by a floral decoration. Wreath border.

ΕΠΗ
ΣΚΟΠΦ
ΠΟΛΕΩ
ΣΤΛΩ

ἐπησκόπου πόλεως Τλῶ

Translation

Θεοτόκε βοήθει Ἰωάννου ἐπησκόπου πόλεως Τλῶ.

Mother of God, help John, bishop of the city of Tlos.

Commentary

This may be the same John who signed the acts of the Council of Trullo in 692 (Mansi XI, 10001A).

Tlos (today's Zeyve/Asar Kale to the north of Patara) is first attested as a bishopric in 451; a suffragan of Myra, it appears in all notitiae from the 7th to the 12th century. See Laurent, Corpus V/1, 375; Fedalto, 237; Brandes, Städte, 99-100; Zgusta, 623.

Accession number BZS.1958.106.247
Diameter 25 mm
Field diameter 19 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 2, no. 81.1.
Laurent, Corpus V/1, no. 511.

Notes

Accession number BZS.1958.106.247
Diameter 25 mm
Field diameter 19 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 2, no. 81.1.
Laurent, Corpus V/1, no. 511.

Parallels

Related Content