You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / Thomas bishop of Lampsakos (eleventh/twelfth century)

Thomas bishop of Lampsakos (eleventh/twelfth century)

Accession Number:
BZS.1958.106.287

Previous Editions

DO Seals 3, no. 54.2a.
Laurent, Corpus V/1, no. 359.

Details

Diameter:
20 mm
Field:
15 mm
Condition:
Chipped at top

Obverse

Thomas bishop of Lampsakos (eleventh/twelfth century)

Bust of St. Parthenios blessing and holding a book. On either side, a vertical inscription: |ΠΑ|ΡΘ|Ε|ΝΙ,|Σ: ὁ ἅ(γιος) Παρθένι(ο)ς. Βorder of dots.

Reverse

Thomas bishop of Lampsakos (eleventh/twelfth century)

Inscription of five lines. Decoration above. Border of dots.


ΗΣΦΡΑ
ΓΙΘΜΑ
ΛΑΜΨΑΚ̅
ΕΠΙΣΚΟ
ΠΟΥ

Ἡ σφραγὶς Θωμᾶ Λαμψακω(ν) ἐπισκόπου

Translation

Ἡ σφραγὶς Θωμᾶ Λαμψακω(ν) ἐπισκόπου.

The seal of Thomas, bishop of Lampsakos.

Audio

Commentary

Dodecasyllabic. Both this seal and BZS.1958.106.2067 appear to be from the same boulloterion and are edited jointly.

Lampsakos (modern Lapsaki, oppiste Gallipoli on the east bank of the Dardanelles) was the site of a bishopric, suffragan of Kyzikos, from at least the 4th century (Laurent, Corpus V/1, 255). It is listed in all the notitiae until the beginning of the fourteenth century. The city was the cult center of St. Parthenios, a 4th-century saint and bishop, who appears on the seal of Bishop Thomas published below (54.2). See Laurent, Corpus V/1, 256; Janin, Grand centres, 206. ODB II, 1172.

 

Document Actions