You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / Niketas metropolitan of Patras (eleventh century)

Niketas metropolitan of Patras (eleventh century)

Accession Number:
BZS.1958.106.3

Previous Editions

DO Seals 2, no. 34.4.
Laurent, Corpus V/1, no. 633.

Details

Diameter:
29 mm
Field:
21 mm

Obverse

Niketas metropolitan of Patras (eleventh century)

Bust of St. Andrew holding a staff cross on his left shoulder. On either side the inscription: |Α|ΝΔ|Ρ.|..: ὁ ἅγιος Ἀνδρέας. Border of dots.

Reverse

Niketas metropolitan of Patras (eleventh century)

Inscription of five lines, a decoration above. Border of dots.


ΣΦΡΑΓ,
ΝΙΚΗΤΑ
ΠΟΙΜΕΝΟΣ
ΤΩΝΕΝΠΑ
ΤΡΑΙΣ

Σφραγὶς Νικήτα ποιμένος τῶν ἐν Πάτραις

Translation

Σφραγὶς Νικήτα ποιμένος τῶν ἐν Πάτραις.

Seal of Niketas metropolitan of the people of Patras.

Audio

Commentary

Dodecasyllabic. Laurent identifies Niketas with the signatory of a synodal decree of March 19, 1067; see Grumel, Regestes, no. 897. A seal of a Niketas of Patrai is published in Zacos, Seals II, no. 651.

Today Patras, the city of St. Andrew. The see of Patras was functioning by the 4th century; it is mentioned as an archbishopric in the iconoclastic notitia and perhaps in the council of 787 (Darrouzès, Notitiae, 23, note 1 and no. 3, line 55). Sometime between 802 and 806 it was raised to the rank of a metropolis by being attributed three suffragans: Lakedaimonia, Methone and Korone. All this information concerning the foundation of the metropolis and its right to collect taxes from the neighboring Slavic populations is related to a miraculous intervention of St. Andrew to save the city from Slav rebels. In the 10th century, an archon exercised authority in Patras (Corinth XII, no. 2705). See Laurent, in REB 21 (1963) 129-36; Laurent, Corpus V/1, 471; Fedalto, 517-19; ODB II, 1597-98; Bon, Morée francque, 449-57.

 

Document Actions