You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / The protos of (Mount) Ganos (eleventh/twelfth century)

The protos of (Mount) Ganos (eleventh/twelfth century)

Accession Number:
BZS.1958.106.407

Previous Editions

DO Seals 1, no. 51.2a.
Laurent, Corpus V/3, no. 1949. Also cf. Laurent, Corpus V/2, no. 1229. Another (?) specimen is described by Laurent in EO 30 (1931) 480; and another one, from the same boulloterion as the DO bullae, was published by Zacos, Seals II, no. 648.

Details

Diameter:
25 mm
Field:
20 mm
Condition:
Oxidation.

Obverse

The protos of (Mount) Ganos (eleventh/twelfth century)

Bust of the Virgin orans with medallion of Christ before her. Inscription: |ΘΥ: Μήτηρ Θεοῦ. Border of dots.

Reverse

The protos of (Mount) Ganos (eleventh/twelfth century)

Inscription of five lines preceded and followed by an ornament (the ornament on top is in fact the horizontal dash indicating the abbreviation placed between two pellets). Border of dots.

··
ΜΕ̅Ρ̅ΛΟ
ΓΚΛΕΙΣ
ΤΝΛΟΓΝ
ΠΡΤΟΥ
ΓΑΝΟΥ
·

Μῆτερ Λόγου, κλεὶς τῶν λόγων πρώτου Γάνου

Translation

Μῆτερ Λόγου, κλεὶς τῶν λόγων πρώτου Γάνου.

Mother of the Word, key to the words of the protos of Ganos.

Audio

Commentary

This specimen comes from the same boulloterion as BZS.1951.31.5.1523, BZS.1951.31.5.87.

This is a correct twelve-syllable verse.

Monastic center situated north of the Propontis and attested from the tenth to the fourteenth century. See Laurent, Corpus V/2, 152. It was composed of several monasteries and, like Mount Athos, was administrated by an (elected?) protos, attested as early as the eleventh century.

 

Document Actions