You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / Leo bishop of Pyrgion (eleventh/twelfth century)

Leo bishop of Pyrgion (eleventh/twelfth century)

Accession Number:
BZS.1958.106.55

Previous Editions

DO Seals 3, no. 31.1.

Laurent, Corpus V/1, no. 296.

Details

Diameter:
21 mm
Field:
16 mm

Obverse

Leo bishop of Pyrgion (eleventh/twelfth century)

Bust of the Virgin holding the medallion of Christ before her. On either side the inscription: μ-θ : Μ(ήτηρ) Θ(εοῦ). Border of dots.

Reverse

Leo bishop of Pyrgion (eleventh/twelfth century)

Inscription of five lines. Border of dots.

+λεο
ντ,ελαχ
ιστ,επισ
κοππυρ
γι

Λέοντ(ος) ἐλαχίστ(ου) ἐπισκόπ(ου) Πυργίου

Translation

Λέοντος ἐλαχίστου ἐισκόπου Πυργίου.

(Seal of) Leo, the most humble bishop of Pyrgion.

Audio

Commentary

Pyrgion is the modern Birgi at the foot of the Tmolos. The see was first named Dios Hieron, later (seventh century) Christoupolis, and finally Pyrgion, with this name appearing first on seals and only in the late twelfth century in literary sources. Its first known bishop is attested in 451. It was a suffragan of Ephesos, until the late twelfth century, when it was raised to the status of metropolis. Conquered by the Turks in 1307, it became the capital of the emirate of Aydin. See Laurent, Corpus V/1, 207-8; Culerrier, Suffragants d'Ephèse, 155 (episcopal list).

 

Document Actions