You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / John bishop of Boukellon (twelfth century)

John bishop of Boukellon (twelfth century)

Accession Number:
BZS.1958.106.59

Previous Editions

DO Seals 1, no. 47.1.
Laurent, Corpus V/3, no. 1738 (misread and attributed to the bishopric of Soublaion).

Details

Diameter:
20 mm

Obverse

John bishop of Boukellon (twelfth century)

Inscription of three lines. Border of dots.

ΣΦΡΓ
ΗΣΓΡΑΦ
ΩΝΙΩ

Σφραγὴς γραφῶν Ἰωάννου

Reverse

John bishop of Boukellon (twelfth century)

Inscription of three lines. Border of dots.

ΕΣΚ
ΟΠΟΥΒΟΥ
ΚΕΛΟΥ

ἐπισκόπου Βουκέλου

Translation

Σφραγὴς γραφῶν Ἰωάννου ἐπισκόπου Βουκέλου.

Seal of the letters of John, bishop of Boukellon.

Audio

Commentary

Together the two inscriptions make up a fifteen-syllable verse. Laurent misread the initial letter of the word identifying the see and read: Σουυλίου, which he identified as the bishopric of Soublaion, suffragan of Laodikeia. The letter is formed with inward-curving loops at top and bottom and is unquestionably a Β. The seal is poorly engraved on nearly rectangular matrices; some letter shapes are influenced by the miniscule script.

The location of the see is unknown. The bishopric of Boukellon is mentioned for the first time in the Notitia of Leo VI and continues to be cited in lists up to the thirteenth century. We know, however, from a literary source that it was in existence in the early fifteenth century. The see was at all times a suffragan bishopric of Adrianoupolis. Cf. Laurent, Corpus V/1, 549; Asdracha, Thrace orientale, 262, 300.

 

Document Actions