John I (969–76)
- Accession Number:
- BZS.1958.106.642 (formerly DO 58.106.642)
DO Seals 6, no. 66.2; Zacos–Veglery, no. 74b.
- 22 mm
- 20 mm
- No channel for suspension
Half-length representation of Christ, wearing a tunic and himation. He raises his right hand in blessing and holds a book in his left. Circular inscription. Border of dots.
Iηs(us) Xr(istu)s rex regnanti<u>m.
Two half-length figures: at left, John I, bearded, wearing a cross-topped crown and a loros; at right, the Mother of God raising her right arm and blessing the emperor by setting her hand on his crown. Circular inscription. Border of dots.
[Θ]εοτοc(e) [bοήθ(ει) Ἰ]ω(άννῃ) desp(oti).
Iηsus Xristus rex regnantium.
Θεοτοce bοήθει Ἰωάννῃ despoti.
Jesus Christ, King of Kings.
Mother of God, help John, despotes.
- Catalogue of Byzantine Seals at Dumbarton Oaks and in the Fogg Museum of Art, Volume 6: Emperors, Patriarchs of Constantinople, Addenda
- Byzantine Lead Seals, vol. 1
- Catalogue of the Byzantine Coins in the Dumbarton Oaks Collection and in the Whittemore Collection, vol. 3, Leo III to Nicephorus III (717–1081)
- Catalogue des monnaies byzantines de la Bibliothèque nationale