Andronikos II Palaiologos (1282-1328)
- Accession Number:
DO Seals 6, no. 106.3.
Zacos-Veglery, no. 124a.
Byzantium: Faith and Power, no. 7B.
- 30 mm
- Blank too small fro dies.
Christ standing before a low thokos, wearing a tunic and himation and holding the right hand in blessing and a book with jeweled cover in left. The cover is ornamented with a pellet in the center and two pellets above and below. Traces of an inscription to the right of Christ’s figure: ΧΣ̅ : [Ἰ(ησοῦ)ς] Χ(ριστό)ς. Border of dots.
The emperor Andronikos (?) standing to front, wearing a loros and holding a labarum (?) in the right hand and (presumably) an akakia in the left. Remains of an inscription in column to the left and right of emperor. Border of dots.
[Ἀν]δρόνικος δ[εσπότ]η[ς ὁ] Π[αλ(αιολόγος)].
Andronikos Palaiologos, despotes.
- Catalogue of Byzantine Seals at Dumbarton Oaks and in the Fogg Museum of Art, Volume 6: Emperors, Patriarchs of Constantinople, Addenda
- Byzantine Lead Seals, vol. 1
- Byzantium: Faith and Power (1261–1557)
- Aus den Schatzkammern des Heiligen Berges, 115 Urkunden und 50 Urkundensiegel aus 10 Jahrhunderten
- Catalogue of the Byzantine Coins in the Dumbarton Oaks Collection and in the Whittemore Collection, vol. 5, Michael VIII to Constantine XI (1258–1453)