Neophytos imperial protospatharios and epoptes of the Islands (eleventh century)
- Accession Number:
DO Seals 2, no. 43.1.
- 25 mm
- 21 mm
- Break along channl, which ran from 11 o'clock to 5 o'clock; poorly printed on the sides.
Bust of St. Athanasios dressed as a monk and wearing a hood, his left hand open in front of his chest. Vertical inscription: |Α.|Ν|ΑΣ: Ὁ ἅγιος Ἀθανάσιος. Along the upper border of dots, inscription.
Ἄγηε βοήθει τῷ σῷ δούλῳ
Ἄγηε βοήθει τῷ σῷ δούλῳ Νεοφύτῳ βασιλικῷ πρωτοσπαθαρίῳ καὶ ἐπόπτῃ τῶν Νίσων.
Holy one, help your servant Neophytos imperial protospatharios and epoptes of the Islands.
- Catalogue of the Byzantine Seals at Dumbarton Oaks and at the Fogg Museum of Art, vol. 2: South of the Balkans, the Islands, south of Asia Minor
- Catalogue of the Byzantine Seals at Dumbarton Oaks and at the Fogg Museum of Art, vol. 1: Italy, North of the Balkans, North of the Black Sea
- History of the Byzantine State
- Byzantine Lead Seals, vol. 1
- Molivdovuly grečeskogo Vostoka