You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Byzantine Seals / Search the Catalogue / Leo bishop of Phokia (eleventh century)

Leo bishop of Phokia (eleventh century)

Accession Number:
BZS.1958.106.94

Previous Editions

DO Seals 3, no. 29.1.

Laurent, Corpus V/1, no. 746.

Details

Diameter:
19 mm
Field:
13 mm

Obverse

Leo bishop of Phokia (eleventh century)

Bust of the Virgin orans, the medallion of Christ before her. On either side the sigla: μ̅-θ̅ : Μ(ήτηρ) Θ(εοῦ). Border of dots.

Reverse

Leo bishop of Phokia (eleventh century)

Inscription of four lines, a cross above and a decoration below. Border of dots.

+
θκ̅εRθ,
λεοντι
επισκοπ
φκιασ
·

Θ(εοτό)κε β(οή)θ(ει) Λέοντι ἐισκόπ(ῳ) Φωκίας

Translation

Θεοτόκε βοήθει Λέοντι ἐισκόπῳ Φωκίας.

Mother of God, help Leo, bishop of Phokia.

Audio

Commentary

The first known bishop of Phokaia (modern Foça, northwest of Smyrna) was attested in 451. This was a bishopric initially suffragan to Ephesos, then, in the mid-ninth century, detached and given to the newly created province of Smyrna. It will be contested again in the fourteenth century. See Laurent, Corpus V/1, 199; Culerrier, Suffragants d'Ephèse, 158 (episcopal list); Arhweiler, Smyrne, 82-84.

 

Document Actions