Royall Tyler to Robert Woods Bliss, April 26, 1935

1935 Apr 26

Budapest

MilRobert NewYork

Sangiorgi reports ivories sold to MilanMuch of the Trivulzio Collection (including ivories) was acquired by the museum complex, Civiche Raccolte d’Arte Applicata, Castello Sforzesco, Milan, in 1935. Stop. Others deny this Stop. Trying ascertain facts, will cable about jewelPendant and Reliquary, ca. 398–407, agate, gold, emeralds, and rubies, Musée du Louvre, Paris, acc. no. OA 9523. On one side, the names of Maria, her parents, and husband are arranged to form the chi-rho (the first two Greek letters of the name of Christ). This side reads (clockwise around a central cross): HONORI, MARIA (forming the curve of the rho), SERHNA, STELICHO. On the other side, the names of Stelicho, his wife, and children are also arranged to form the chi-rho. This side reads (clockwise around a central cross): STELICHO, SERENA (forming the curve of the rho), EUCHERI, THERMANTIA. On both sides, the horizontal bar of the cross reads: VIVATIS “May they live.” Between the two pieces of agate is earth, most likely from the Holy Land. The pendant, which had been in the Trivulzio Collection, was acquired by a member of the Montesquiou-Fezensac family, and was an anonymous gift to the Musée du Louvre on behalf of the Société des Amis du Louvre in 1951. See Kurt Weitzmann, ed., Age of Spirituality: Late Antique and Early Christian Art, Third to Seventh Century (New York: Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1979), 306, no. 279. earliest possible. Love, Tyler.

 
Associated People: Giorgio Sangiorgi