You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ The laura of St. Euthymios (eleventh century)

The laura of St. Euthymios (eleventh century)

Accession number BZS 1947.2.16
Diameter 20 mm
Field diameter 11 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 19.8; Laurent, Corpus 5.2: no. 1582 (tenth/eleventh century), identified as Shaw 1173.

Obverse

Bust of St. Euthymios orans with a very long beard. No epigraphy visible. Border of dots.

Reverse

Inscription of five lines. Border of dots.

ΤΗΣ
ΛΡΣ
ΤΓΙ
ΕΥΘΗΜΗ

Τῆς λάβρας τοῦ ἁγίου Εὐθημήου.

Translation

Τῆς λάβρας τοῦ ἁγίου Εὐθημήου.

(Seal) of the laura of St. Euthymios.

Commentary

The ruins of the monastery are located at the modern site of Khan-el-Ahmar, east of Jerusalem. The monastery was built in 425 and dedicated three years later, and is attested until the twelfth century. See Laurent, Corpus 5.2:412–13; ODB 2:756–57; Patrich, Sabas, 162–63, 224–28, 237–39.

Accession number BZS 1947.2.16
Diameter 20 mm
Field diameter 11 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 19.8; Laurent, Corpus 5.2: no. 1582 (tenth/eleventh century), identified as Shaw 1173.

Notes

Accession number BZS 1947.2.16
Diameter 20 mm
Field diameter 11 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 19.8; Laurent, Corpus 5.2: no. 1582 (tenth/eleventh century), identified as Shaw 1173.

Parallels

Related Content