You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ The church of Seleukeia of Isauria (sixth/seventh century)

The church of Seleukeia of Isauria (sixth/seventh century)

Accession number BZS.1947.2.187
Diameter 21 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 6.27; Laurent, Corpus 5.2, no. 1544 (listed by Laurent as Coll. Shaw, no. 1155).

Obverse

Inscription of two lines. Wreath border.

ΓΙΣ
ΕΛˊ

Ἁγίας ἐκκλ(ησίας)

Reverse

Inscription of three lines. Indeterminate border.

ΣΕΛΕΥ.
ΙΣΥΡ
...

Σελευ[κ(ίας)] Ἰσαυρ[ίας].

Translation

Ἁγίας ἐκκλησίας Σελευκίας Ἰσαυρίας

(Seal of) the holy church of Seleukeia of Isauria.

Commentary

A seal with the same inscription, but from a different boulloterion, is published by Speck-Sode, Berlin II, no. 424.

The seal "of the church of Seleukeia of Isauria" is one of several bearing this type of anonymous inscription (see also BZS.1958.106.182, BZS.1951.31.5.1987, and BZS.1955.1.5052). In addition to these, see Oikonomides, "The Anonymous Seal," a seal "of the holy church of Emesa" (J.W. Nesbitt, "Byzantine Lead Seals from the Vicinity of the Governor's Palace and Warehouse," 2, no. 10), and another "of the church of Theoupolis" (Cheynet, Sceaux byzantins, no. 62). Oikonomides suggested that such seals were issued when the metropolitan was absent from his see or when the episcopal throne was vacant.

Accession number BZS.1947.2.187
Diameter 21 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 6.27; Laurent, Corpus 5.2, no. 1544 (listed by Laurent as Coll. Shaw, no. 1155).

Notes

Accession number BZS.1947.2.187
Diameter 21 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 6.27; Laurent, Corpus 5.2, no. 1544 (listed by Laurent as Coll. Shaw, no. 1155).

Parallels

Related Content