You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ Theodo..., bishop of Keramos (?) (seventh/eighth century)

Theodo..., bishop of Keramos (?) (seventh/eighth century)

 
 

Obverse

Almost completely obliterated; faint remains of a cruciform invocative monogram (apparently addressed to the Theotokos); in the quarters: ..ΟΔ|Ο.... No border visible.

Θεοτόκε βοήθει Θεοδο...

Reverse

Inscription of four lines, beginning and ending with a cross. Wreath border.

ΕΠΙ
ΣΚΟΠΟΝ
ΚΕΡ..
ΜΟΥ

ἐπισκόπον Κεράμμου

Obverse

Almost completely obliterated; faint remains of a cruciform invocative monogram (apparently addressed to the Theotokos); in the quarters: ..ΟΔ|Ο.... No border visible.

Θεοτόκε βοήθει Θεοδο...

Reverse

Inscription of four lines, beginning and ending with a cross. Wreath border.

ΕΠΙ
ΣΚΟΠΟΝ
ΚΕΡ..
ΜΟΥ

ἐπισκόπον Κεράμμου

Accession number BZS.1951.31.5.1921
Diameter 29.0 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 2, no. 67.1.

Translation

Θεοτόκε βοήθει Θεοδο... ἐπισκόπον Κεράμου.

Theotokos, help Theodo..., bishop of Keramos.

Commentary

Line 3 (rev.): the letter Ρ is fairly certain. The only difficulty with the reading is that line 3 needs two more letters to be balanced. Still, the possibilities are somewhat limited. For this reason we propose, with reservations, a restitution that takes into account a spelling mistake, the double Μ. The name of the prelate could be Θεοδόσιος, Θεόδουλος, or Θεόδωρος (with a spelling mistake).

Keramos (modern Ören in Gereme), on the north shore of the Keramic gulf, was a suffragan bishopric of Aphrodisias/Stauroupolis; it is listed in all notitiae episcopatuum from the 7th to the 12th century. Its bishops attended the councils of 431, 787, and 879. See DHGE 12 (1950) 153.