You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ The Church of Kyzikos (sixth/seventh century)

The Church of Kyzikos (sixth/seventh century)

 
 

Obverse

Inscription of three lines. Wreath border.

ΑΓΙ
ΑΣΕΚ
ΚΛˁ

Ἁγίας ἐκκλησίας

Reverse

Inscription of three lines. Wreath border.

ΚΥ
ΖΙΚ
ΟΥ

Κυζίκου

Obverse

Inscription of three lines. Wreath border.

ΑΓΙ
ΑΣΕΚ
ΚΛˁ

Ἁγίας ἐκκλησίας

Reverse

Inscription of three lines. Wreath border.

ΚΥ
ΖΙΚ
ΟΥ

Κυζίκου

Accession number BZS.1955.1.5053
Diameter 24.0 mm; field: 19.0 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 3, no. 53.11.
Laurent, Corpus V/3, no. 1702.
Zacos-Veglery, no. 771.

Translation

Ἁγίας ἐκκλησίας Κυζίκου.

(Seal of) the holy church of Kyzikos.

Commentary

Kyzikos (modern Balkız) was originally a bishopric of the eparchia of Asia, but in the second half of the IVth century it became the metropolis of the Hellespont. It is listed in all the notitiae until the XVth century. In 688-689 Cypriots were brought to inhabit the peninsula together with their archbishop (cf. DOSeals 2.38). See Laurent, Corpus, V/1, 246-47; Zgusta, 310; Brandes, Städte, 115-18; ODB II, 1164-65.

In addition the seals of this see published by Laurent, see also the bulla of Leo of Kyzikos published in Zacos, Seals II, no. 552; cf. also SBS 3 [1993] 186.